PDA

View Full Version : Pantabangan Dam, Nueva Ecija...

nonong
22nd July 2008, 11:10 AM
I have predicted that Pantabangan Dam will be the source of record-sized Florida strain Largemouth Bass. This irrigation reservoir was built in 1972 when the Pampanga river was dammed in the province of Nueva Ecija.

Information from goodcatchfishing.com revealed that the biggest bass caught was a stunning seven (7) kilograms. I say that by this time there must be lunker(hawgs) bass. The lake has been periodically seeded with bass over the years.

The formed lake is spread out over an area of 80,000 hectares! That is a HUGE area to explore and fish. SFA carpers would be overjoyed to know that the lake contains large carp, snake murrel (haruan) and tilapia. Bottom area is mostly rocky/hilly with the usual structure. Over the water or immersed trees like Camachile are a good spot to use surface lures. The submerged pampanga river bed offers deep bassing for those interested. A friend of my father once told me that there are a lot of wild ducks in the lake area. He used to bring his shotgun and bang away at the quackers.

Pantabangan is accessible by good roads thru the North Luzon Expressway (NLEX). Maps are available in tourist hotels but the better maps can be purchased from National Bookstore outlets or the bigger gasoline stations along the NLEX. Good accomodations are available at Best View Hotel and Restaurant. Please see: www.bestviewhotel.net (http://www.bestviewhotel.net)

The cold months are coming and if you SFA guys and gals have tried Largemouth Bass this is the alternate place to go. SFA carp enthusiasts like Carpa will find this place beautiful, unspoiled and prolific with fish. Try contacting www.goodcatchfishing.com (Atty. Gordon Uy) or get in touch with HK travel agencies with bass fishing links to Pantabangan Dam.

nonong
22nd July 2008, 12:07 PM
Security is good in the area. The dam area is patrolled as the reservoir provides rice irrigation to thousands of hectares of farmlands. Nueva Ecija is under the Area of Operations(AOR) of elements of the Philippine Army 7th Infantry Division.

A lot of foreign tourists mostly americans, malaysians, chinese, etc. fish the lake for Largemouth Bass.

pidro
22nd July 2008, 03:17 PM
hi nonong,

just wanna share one of the few catches which i got at pantabangan lake :-D it weighed 3kg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t130/pidro_01/IMG_0842.jpg

nonong
22nd July 2008, 08:28 PM
SFA members can visit Pantabangan dam during the cold months for bass fishing or carping.

Cheers!

Carpa
22nd July 2008, 08:31 PM
Interesting Nonong!

Whats the Carp record In the Phills? and whats the biggest you know of? and caught where?
Cheers!
Wow! Thats a big pond!

nonong
22nd July 2008, 09:16 PM
Yo Carpa! Got some info from a Philippine aquaculture site....

The common carp was introduced in 1915 from Hong Kong. Yup from the Crown Colony. In 1925, carp fingerlings came in from China. The big head, silver head and indian carps were introduced in 1967-68 (source: FAO corporate document repository). Japanese varieties were accidentally released or seeded in rivers, lakes and ponds.

Truth to tell, i have no access to a Philippine record carp as most sportfishing is saltwater. The riverine, lake, pond or stream catches are not even recorded in picture postings at the tackle shops or sites like www.goodcatchfishing.com

I did hear stories though.... The La Mesa dam is a secured area. It is the source of water for the National Capital Region. Strictly no fishing is allowed in the main lake for many years now. Heard that the Army Scout Rangers secure the place and some talk filtered down of angler troopies catching 20-40 kilos carp.

Most freshwater market fish i have seen are the tilapia, catfishes, gourami, haruan, eels, the freshwater sardines from Taal lake and some carp by-catch.

Since the carp is not specifically targetted as a gamefish, i would assume that there are monsters out there in the big lakes. Lake Caliraya has carp. Taal Lake resorts in Batangas may have boatmen who know about carp. Pantabangan dam has carp (the main target species for sportfishers is bass) and within that 80,000 hectares monsters must be lurking. Even the peasants prefer tilapia for sustenance. I have seen big carp taken from the Naga river in Camarines Sur, Bicol Region. It is a rare sight and they sell the fish to motorists.

I have been around in the late 60's and 70's and most species for freshwater aquaculture consisted of the milkfish, martiniko, tilapia, haruan, catfish, giant gourami (rare now) and the latest is the Central Luzon State University genetically enhanced tilapia.

I repeat.... a carp record has yet to be established in Philippine freshwater as this species is not targetted by sportfishers. I have been to wet markets and have rarely seen carp marketted as a main food fish. Any takers from SFA carpers?

If you do come to the Philippines, fish the known lakes and rivers. Atty. Gordon Uy may have a tap on freshwater carp fishing areas. Avoid Laguna de Bay.

Carpa
22nd July 2008, 09:33 PM
Yo Carpa! Got some info from a Philippine aquaculture site....

The common carp was introduced in 1915 from Hong Kong. Yup from the Crown Colony. In 1925, carp fingerlings came in from China. The big head, silver head and indian carps were introduced in 1967-68 (source: FAO corporate document repository). Japanese varieties were accidentally released or seeded in rivers, lakes and ponds.

Truth to tell, i have no access to a Philippine record carp as most sportfishing is saltwater. The riverine, lake, pond or stream catches are not even recorded in picture postings at the tackle shops or sites like www.goodcatchfishing.com

I did hear stories though.... The La Mesa dam is a secured area. It is the source of water for the National Capital Region. Strictly no fishing is allowed in the main lake for many years now. Heard that the Army Scout Rangers secure the place and some talk filtered down of angler troopies catching 20-40 kilos carp.

Most freshwater market fish i have seen are the tilapia, catfishes, gourami, haruan, eels, the freshwater sardines from Taal lake and some carp by-catch.

Since the carp is not specifically targetted as a gamefish, i would assume that there are monsters out there in the big lakes. Lake Caliraya has carp. Taal Lake resorts in Batangas may have boatmen who know about carp. Pantabangan dam has carp (the main target species for sportfishers is bass) and within that 80,000 hectares monsters must be lurking. Even the peasants prefer tilapia for sustenance. I have seen big carp taken from the Naga river in Camarines Sur, Bicol Region. It is a rare sight and they sell the fish to motorists.

I have been around in the late 60's and 70's and most species for freshwater aquaculture consisted of the milkfish, martiniko, tilapia, haruan, catfish, giant gourami (rare now) and the latest is the Central Luzon State University genetically enhanced tilapia.

I repeat.... a carp record has yet to be established in Philippine freshwater as this species is not targetted by sportfishers. I have been to wet markets and have rarely seen carp marketted as a main food fish. Any takers from SFA carpers?

If you do come to the Philippines, fish the known lakes and rivers. Atty. Gordon Uy may have a tap on freshwater carp fishing areas. Avoid Laguna de Bay.

Nice one Nonong,
I only have fished at the Hilltop Resort, thets where Keith was last week, Great fun and lots of Carpa;)

nonong
23rd July 2008, 12:19 AM
Next time you are out at Philippine freshwater areas.... try a boat. I am sure some carp anglers fish from boats.

Try a sewn sackcloth bag, carp bait scented mix in the bag(peeled shrimp or fry can do.... any suggestions?) and tie a line to secure the bait in the bag. Suspend this from the boat with the bag weighted down by a stone or lead weight. Would 5 to 6 feet do? Drop the baited carp rig over the side.... suspend it at the same depth and wait for the scent trail to be picked up by carp.

This trick ought to work on a lakeshore when you just toss the lined weighted bag into the water. Even catfish and other species will be attracted to the scent bag.

Will also post a thread on Taal Lake soon. I forgot....Lake Caliraya has lots of deep areas that could hold big carp. Sloped dropoffs can be accessible by boat. The water clarity will improve come October, November and December.

nonong
23rd July 2008, 12:45 AM
Atty. Gordon Uy of Fishing Buddy tackle shop knows Pantabangan Dam. He has experienced a Kayak bass fishing expedition there. Visit www. goodcatchfishing.com and see the article entitled: "Masiway Kayak Fishing and Bass Fishing Expedition" written by Armando Lee at the bottom of the opening page.

I attached some pics from the article.

Patudo
23rd July 2008, 06:53 AM
Giant gourami are actually a lot of fun on light-tackle. If conditions are right (not too many overhanging trees and other snags, etc) light fly tackle with dry flies is an extremely sporting way to fish for them.

nonong
23rd July 2008, 02:47 PM
Greetings Patudo.

Yes i have seen giant gourami in ponds at a resort in Quezon Province. There is a hydro-electric dam there and a small lake that is fed by a river. I do know that there is fishing in the reservoir. I wonder if they seeded the place with those giant gourami. Wanted to fish there but had no gear. My wife brought me to the place on a corporate outing. It is called Villa Escudero Resort. A bit high-end but a great place to visit and relax.

As a related subject of the thread i am suggesting www.villaescudero.com as a fishing site. Great place to walkabout, fish and relax. I haven't been there for some time. If any of the SFA group is interested please contact them at the mentioned website to inquire about the dam and river fishing.

nonong
23rd July 2008, 05:40 PM
Here are some of the Pantabangan Dam pics of Atty. Gordon Uy. The place will soon become famous for its record breaking lunker bass. I just hope the lead Philippine fishing associations coordinate with all stakeholders in preserving the environment and ecology of the lake for future generations.

Harry Palmer
23rd July 2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks for info Nonong. I did some research about getting there from Hong Kong.

Asian Spirit flies to San Jose daily from manila (about 40kg from dam) but only 10kg baggage and cannot buy tickets from HK as they have a reputation for cancelling flights.

Another option is to fly HK Express direct to Clark airbase and get land transport from their. I had read that the roads near Pantabangan are very bad and you need a 4WD to get there. Bus from Manilla takes 7-8 hours so I read.

Definitely looks a beatiful place and worth a visit.

nonong
24th July 2008, 12:24 AM
You are welcome keith. The best secure staging/jump-off area would be the Clark Special Economic Zone. You can make prior arrangements for overnight billeting at a good hotel inside Clark.

A reputable vehicle rental service with driver and guide can be prepared by the HK travel agency of your choice.Travel by road early morning after breakfast and be there in 2+ hours.

6 to 7 feet long bass action or medium fibreglass/graphite spinning rods are used there. Size 4000 spinning reel is good. Try using a good abrasion resist line like Sufix Tritanium.

Line test depends on your skill and preference as there is structure there like weed, snags and trees. One guy from goodcatchfishing used 20 lbs. test mono. He must have known beforehand that a big bass could bring the line into cover. You could use fluorocarbon leaders too.

Bring an assortment of surface poppers, prop/jointed plugs, spoons, spinners, under surface shallow divers and carolina rigged scented plastics like Berkely Gulp Bait. The brighter, flashier, wiggling and sonic lures work best.

Carpers should use thicker(or thin steel) leaders as there is lots of underwater structure and no telling how big the carp is in the lake.

Best if you could go as a team effort of more than 2 anglers.... Sort of like car pooling in sharing costs if you know what i mean. The more, the merrier. :))

nonong
24th July 2008, 03:42 PM
Here is some side info that is related to the thread.

There is an undeveloped newly constructed dam in Pangasinan province. This is about 300 kms. north of Metro Manila. It is undeveloped in the sense that to my knowledge.... no resort infrastructure has been built.

Dam wall is 200 meters high and it is one of the biggest in asia(12th in the world). I am referring to the newly constructed San Roque Dam Project. It is "virgin" in the sense that we have no fishing reports about its fisheries. The Agno River was dammed and this created a deep sprawling lake.

I researched the Agno river and there is mullet, carp, tilapia, catfish, etc. Largemouth Bass seeding should have been done by now. It has the potential for a great LMB sport fishery.

Will keep SFA informed of resort and sport fisheries development.

Attached some pics....

nonong
24th July 2008, 10:09 PM
More Pantabangan Dam pictures showing the beauty of the lake area....

Cheers!

Patudo
25th July 2008, 02:47 AM
The Australians have stocked barramundi into freshwater dams where feeding on abundant baitfish they have grown huge, up to 40 lbs and more. I don't know how easy it is to get barramundi brood stock in the Philippines but that could be worth a try...

Google 'Lake Tinaroo barramundi' for some more info. I'm not massively interested in fresh water fishing by and large but those giant freshwater barramundi really are quite impressive.

nonong
25th July 2008, 10:24 PM
Hi Patudo.... just got in. Had to apply Flex Coat on my new rod.

Speaking of barramundi, the Clark Economic Zone in Pampanga has high end resorts that have stocked this fish in ponds. Clearwater Resort is a good one. I don't know how much they charge per kilo.

nonong
26th July 2008, 09:59 PM
Atty. Gordon Uy of Fishing Buddy can help you with boatmen contacts at the Pantabangan Dam area. Interested parties can contact him at www.goodcatchfishing.com

Bass needs like tackle, rigs and lures can be purchased at Fishing Buddy, Manila Bay Arcade, Roxas Boulevard corner Quirino Avenue(adjacent chinese resto Szechuan House).

Cheers.

Skywoolf
26th July 2008, 10:20 PM
I think everyone knows where Atty. Gordon Uy's Fishing Buddy shop and his website are Nonong. You have posted it so many times I think we can all memorize the details.

nonong
27th July 2008, 05:18 PM
Mea culpa sir. Sorry about that. I was just too overzealous in trying to promote fishing tourism interest in Pantabangan Dam, Philippines.

Truth to tell, it is gratis et amore. Absolutely free and without any personal gain on my part. Just helping my country out in my own little way.

Thanks for understanding.

Cheers!

freeman
3rd August 2008, 12:31 PM
I heard that the bite at Pantabangan has picked up again. Anyone here gone there recently?

nonong
3rd August 2008, 04:10 PM
Hi freeman.... With all that rain coming in there must be lots of runoff from higher ground.

I suggest the guys pick a lull in the monsoon. The waves in the open lake are like sea types maybe 2 to 3 feet. Heard about this from Fishing Buddy.

I wonder what is the biggest bass boated in 2007-2008?

pidro
16th August 2008, 11:32 AM
hi nonong,
3-4years ago pantabangan was at its prime for bass fishing but lately it suffred some set back. heard that it has not gotten back to its original glory, i fished there last february and i can attest it is not as nice as it was before. there are 2 reasons or theory that they are saying why this is happening, one is because of overfishing a lot of locals nowadays are selling these basses on the market second is because these basses cant seem to establish their comfort zones since water level goes up and down drastically in almost 2-3 weeks interval by 10-20 meters. if you use a fish finder in the pantabangan you will see fishes at around 30-40ft susupened and getting bass to bite at a suspended state is very hard. for me unless the water level stays at a certain level for at least 2-3 months, these fishes will remain to bahave like this. just my two cents thanks

CLIFFORD
22nd August 2008, 03:37 PM
Hi Pete,

I wish we can take good care of Pantabangan specially the LMB, had fished there before and saw the potential of bass fishing in the area I hope we can encourage anglers to catch and release in this way we can preserve the bass and more anglers can enjoy bass fishing in the area.