Sportfishingasia.com
Click to see full size image

Go Back   Sport Fishing Asia Forums > Fishing In Asia > Philippines
Sport Fishing Asia Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Philippines Like Thailand but with a lot more depth. Mostly safe but it pays to take precautions. Some areas are unspoiled and have great fishing while others are fished out or even destroyed entirely by dynamite fishing.

Menu
  Home
  Forums
  Picture Galleries
  Books and Videos
  Search
  Links
  Newsletter
  FAQ
  Recommend Us
Old 25th September 2008, 09:03 AM
freeman

Default Dalag (Haruan / mudfish/ snakehead) in the Philipppines

This is my grand dads target fish, back in the old days when they used bamboo poles and live frogs.

This fish can be found anywhere in the Philippines and I have recently enjoyed catching them from a local "kangkungan" ( more like a canal with water lilies and kangkong, a water spinach)

Do you know of other spots around manila that have a sizeable population for these fishes? Would certainly like to try those.
Old 25th September 2008, 10:35 AM
Banned

Location: Las Pinas City, National Capital Region, Republic of the Philippines.

Hi freeman! Long time no forum chat man.

That is a beautiful Snake Murrel or Dalag. The Bicolano term is Haruan. Do you think some people may have imported the indonesian variety to the Bicol region?

Kangkong is called water cress. I like that veggie Thai/Chinese style and cooked well. The Dalag fish has habitat in rivers, creeks, streams, lakes, ponds, rice paddy canals/reservoirs and even parks and dams.

Bong Chua tried the old Nayong Pilipino pond. He caught them on an artificial froggie. Paul Tie of China Merchandising told me about dalag caught on Bluefox Vibrax no. 6 spinners adjacent Taal Lake nearshore weedlines. There are big ones in Lake Caliraya and Pantabangan Dam.

Believe it or not some guys have tried the lagoons in golf courses and even Memorial Parks. This species exist even in those watercourses.
Old 25th September 2008, 10:45 AM
Banned

Location: Las Pinas City, National Capital Region, Republic of the Philippines.

I have caught Dalag in culverts running under a highway and emptying into a ricefield irrigation reservoir. In flowing water.... they hangout near runoffs and the reservoir spill into feeder canals. Have tried earthworms with instant strikes by letting the line drift downstream just off a reservoir mouth. Have placed them into a culvert runoff too.

They will strike at hooked earthworms, small frogs, small fish, peeled saltwater shrimp abdomen/tails, Bee Larvae(very effective) and any other bait that will attract its carnivorous nature.

Can you post more Haruan catch pictures?
Old 25th September 2008, 01:42 PM
freeman

I have other pics but they all look the same to me. Same size, just on different lures. I got them on bass assassins, heddon torpedos, heddon shad prop bait, a shallow diver, and a zoom worm. They are fun to catch on top water and near weed edges. Ambush!

When I get one that tips the scale >1Kg, I will surely post it here. Im so easy to please. hehe