Sportfishingasia.com
Click to see full size image

Go Back   Sport Fishing Asia Forums > Fishing In Asia > Malaysia
Sport Fishing Asia Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Malaysia The variety of freshwater and marine environments in Malaysia offer a vast range of angling opportunities. Whether for serious game fishing or for fun, Malaysia boasts a plethora of angling destinations.

Menu
  Home
  Forums
  Picture Galleries
  Books and Videos
  Search
  Links
  Newsletter
  FAQ
  Recommend Us
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:24 PM

Default Fishing in Kulai, Johore/Malaysia

Since the last freshwater paypond of old days in Singapore gave way to modernisations and developments about one and half decade back, we (Singaporean) dont have the trill of catching fresh water fishes anymore.

Of course over the past few years a couple of fresh water pay pond did come into the scene where some are quite popular even now however it is so different from the days of old.

As such many of us especially the old timers head up to Johore, the State that is nearest to Singapore for some fresh water actions.

I single out this pay pond in Kulai a small town in the State of Johore where in it (pond) has some monsters. It is about the size of a soccer field and deepest part is about 15 feet. A very interesting place to fish.
There are many arapaimas and the biggest caught to date was a whopping 90kgs plus fellow and we have caught patins upto 22 kgs. Pacus well over 30 kgs had been caught.
Very unfoutunately, any arapaimas caught, leader willo have to be cut when secured hence we had no pictures of any arapaimas that we had caught so far.

The only problem is the bait used are chicken intestines and it really stinks but a fantastic bait all right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kulai big carp.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	1487  Click image for larger version

Name:	big grassy.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	1488  Click image for larger version

Name:	kulai more big patins.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	1489  Click image for larger version

Name:	kulai any song.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	1490  Click image for larger version

Name:	kulai sultan.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	1491  

Old 3rd September 2009, 10:40 PM

Nice catches Harry. I know very little about freshwater fishing in Malaysia other than at the big reservoirs which seem to be very expensive for accomodation and boat hire compared to Thailand.

Your thumbnails are a bit too small. Is the second from the left a grassie or rohu? And the 4th from left looks like a very large asian silver carp or is it a bighead carp?

How much to fish one rod per day? Any accomodation nearby?

cheers HP
Old 11th September 2009, 12:06 AM

Hi Harry

Sorry about the size of the pictures. I will try again next time.

The second picture is a grassy hitting the scale at close to 9 kgs. Not long but very fat and rounded.
The fourth is a bighead carp.
The method and baits that we used (old Singapore way) quite different from what you used over in PV. I think Willie should still have an idea the method we used. (Hope we will have the chance to catch up and share some freshwater fishing method as well as baits, I could be making a trip to Shenzhen soon if things goes ok.)

We use very offen steamed taipoca but I noticed that over in HongKong and China, you dont.

There are no chalet or whatsoever but Kulai town do have very neat hotels near the pond. Basically this pond operates from 10am to 8pm. For a whole day fishing, per rod is 22 Ringget which is about HK$50. All catch and release.

cheers
Old 11th September 2009, 11:24 PM

Your Grassie and Bighead beats my PB for both species. Well done.