Sportfishingasia.com
Click to see full size image

Go Back   Sport Fishing Asia Forums > Fishing In Asia > Philippines
Sport Fishing Asia Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Philippines Like Thailand but with a lot more depth. Mostly safe but it pays to take precautions. Some areas are unspoiled and have great fishing while others are fished out or even destroyed entirely by dynamite fishing.

Menu
  Home
  Forums
  Picture Galleries
  Books and Videos
  Search
  Links
  Newsletter
  FAQ
  Recommend Us

Old 17th September 2012, 09:12 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Walter Smith

Thank you Henric for your message.....I had an extra rod holder made and it works fine.......Much unsettled weather here, constant storms. Be gald when stable weather returns......Cheers Wada
Old 19th September 2012, 06:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to Henric

Yes, I also hope for good weather when I arrive in Davao in two weeks again. Been preparing for the Andaman islands for some time and would like to practice speed jigging if I can find some drops outside Davao. And I will of course need to find a boat as well.
This is what I expect in the Andaman islands:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...1rw&NR=1&gl=SE
Best regards, Henric
Old 19th September 2012, 07:58 AM

I am not an expert on tropical fishing...I Troll with my boat using Rapalas or skirted lures, or tie to a buoy and use dead bait and chum...I have not had great success but i've caught fish... I am trying for that ilusive Tuna or Swordfish. My favourite lure is the Rapala, hahaha i was an expert in Norway using this lure for Trout, Greyling and Pike. Huh that was fresh water and cold, here it's salt water and very warm.... I lived in Norway for 26 years, i left there after my beautiful Norwegian wife died....That is why I have retired to the Philippines. Regards Walter
Old 19th September 2012, 04:47 PM

Ah, that is good. I am Swedish so we can talk Scandivanian if we fish. :-) My father retired to Davao and I have a company there, so I have been there more than 25 times since 2005, but sad to say I my fishing adventures around Davao where not so many or successful. I go back in 2 weeks and hope to change this with some tunas and some sailfish. :-)

I have done about 15 trips to Venezuela and a few other trips here and there so I am getting the hang of saltwater fishing, even though I have miles and miles to go yet. It would be my pleasure to teach you what I have learned so far.

I work in software development but started a sport fishing store with some friends some years back. For me it was more fun to use the gear than to sell it so I sold my shares in the store, but get a decent discount in case you need something from Sweden, Walter. Just let me know and I will bring it in October when I come.
http://www.sportfiskegiganten.se

All the best, Henric
Old 20th September 2012, 01:16 PM

You appear to be a very wealthy man, with fishing trips around the world..I am just an ordinary man that found it impossible to live in europe without my wife, i retired here with my small pension but i live well on that.....Abu is my favourite equipment but i don't know the models of their seafishing reels. I think lure's - Abu or Rapala are cheaper here in the Philippines. I will look and check online ! I want to buy poppers and try this type of fishing. Where in Davao will you be staying ? I have a house in Bangkal and my boat is at Lanang. Regards Walter
Old 22nd September 2012, 04:04 AM

No, I am quite ordinary as well. But with a severe interest for fishing. And my company is stable and I can combine travels with fishing. Software is good in that respect, because the further you go from Sweden, the cheaper the developers become. So I as long as I have projects, I have a reason to travel for recruitment.

ABU used to be great but today I would not invest in a reel from them if I was fishing in saltwater. I use Shimano, Daiwa and Penn.

I saw a GT looking fish on a picture, caught in Siargao, so a popper or two in the boat maybe could come in handy also outside Davao. I will bring a couple and then if we go for fishing, we can give it a try. My friend makes poppers himself. Not sure what the tool is called in English but "svarv" we call the tool he use in Swedish.

Mvh Henric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home_made_popper_by_Mr_T.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	2551  
Old 22nd September 2012, 04:06 AM

Want to add that I have about 20 reels from ABU and always use them when I for example go for salmon trolling or cod, but for a 50 kilo yellow-fin that you actually can hook outside Samal, i would not rely even on their so called Big Game reel.

Mvh Henric